» Sparoza Garden
» MGS Forum
» Seed Exchange
» MGS Excursions
» Members' Gardens
» Book Reviews
» Members' Forum
» News & Views
MGS Tour of Gardens of the Cape - Stellenbosch and Cape Town, South Africa
31 October to 9 November 2016
Italian Branch Head Angela Durnford who organised the eight-day tour writes:
My family has lived in the Cape since 1984 and after one year as a resident there I have been visiting ever since, latterly overwintering each year. Since becoming Branch Head for Italy in 2012 I have hoped to put a tour together to share this magnificent place with fellow MGS members – larger-than-life landscapes, vast oceans, fine hospitality, a fascinating history and above all its gorgeous gardens and extraordinary flora. I have been helped by so very many enthusiastic gardeners, horticulturalists and botanists here in the Cape.
- 4 nights in Stellenbosch at Kleine Zalze Lodge – nestled among vineyards in the heartland of the Winelands with spectacular views over the mountains of Stellenbosch we will shall have fantastically comfortable, large rooms to rest and recharge from our busy schedule.
- 5 nights in Cape Town at The Vineyard Hotel – a beautiful and historic hotel set in marvellous gardens with views up to Table Mountain.
- 8 days
- 2 hotels
- 25 beautiful gardens – botanical, historic, modern, indigenous, organic and experimental, each tour led by the garden owner or by expert botanists and horticulturalists.
- 2 talks by leading lights in the Cape botanical community on water-wisdom in the Cape and climate change in the Cape.
- 1 wildflower walk on Table Mountain for the intrepid or along a beautiful riverbed for those less adventurous
- 8 light lunches in the gardens or other spectacular settings – even when we sit down to eat the Cape will be all around us
- 7 dinners in great restaurants – personal favourites
- 1 free afternoon
- 2 free evenings